Hey guys, I was listening to Leonard Cohen today (considered to be one of the greatest lyricists of our time) and decided to find the lyrics to one of his songs. He actually just reads this one with piano playing string chords behind him, but here it is (see if you can catch the Robert Frost reference).
A Thousand Kisses Deep
1. You came to me this morning
And you handled me like meat.
You´d have to live alone to know
How good that feels, how sweet.
My mirror twin, my next of kin,
I´d know you in my sleep.
And who but you would take me in
A thousand kisses deep?
2. I loved you when you opened
Like a lily to the heat.
I´m just another snowman
Standing in the rain and sleet,
Who loved you with his frozen love
His second-hand physique -
With all he is, and all he was
A thousand kisses deep.
3. All soaked in sex, and pressed against
The limits of the sea:
I saw there were no oceans left
For scavengers like me.
We made it to the forward deck
I blessed our remnant fleet -
And then consented to be wrecked
A thousand kisses deep.
4. I know you had to lie to me,
I know you had to cheat.
But the Means no longer guarantee
The Virtue in Deceit.
That truth is bent, that beauty spent,
That style is obsolete -
Ever since the Holy Spirit went
A thousand kisses deep.
5. (So what about this Inner Light
That´s boundless and unique?
I´m slouching through another night
A thousand kisses deep.)
6. I´m turning tricks; I´m getting fixed,
I´m back on Boogie Street.
I tried to quit the business -
Hey, I´m lazy and I´m weak.
But sometimes when the night is slow,
The wretched and the meek,
We gather up our hearts and go
A thousand kisses deep.
7. (And fragrant is the thought of you,
The file on you complete -
Except what we forgot to do
A thousand kisses deep.)
8. The ponies run, the girls are young,
The odds are there to beat.
You win a while, and then it´s done -
Your little winning streak.
And summoned now to deal
With your invincible defeat,
You live your life as if it´s real
A thousand kisses deep.
9. (I jammed with Diz and Dante -
I did not have their sweep -
But once or twice, they let me play
A thousand kisses deep.)
10. And I´m still working with the wine,
Still dancing cheek to cheek.
The band is playing "Auld Lang Syne" -
The heart will not retreat.
And maybe I had miles to drive,
And promises to keep -
You ditch it all to stay alive
A thousand kisses deep.
11. And now you are the Angel Death
And now the Paraclete;
And now you are the Savior's Breath
And now the Belsen heap.
No turning from the threat of love,
No transcendental leap -
As witnessed here in time and blood
A thousand kisses deep.
Leonard Cohen.
The last stanza is all about WWII. I think most people know the angel of death, but the Paraclete is another word for the Holy Spirit, as is the Savior's Breath. Belsen-Burg was a concentration camp. I just love his work, he's so good. Check out his other stuff as well. "Suzanne" and "The Tower of Song" are good places to start.
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Forgot to add, his rhyme scheme adds a really cool rhythm to the poem.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I definitely like the rhythm of this. Mega cool.
ReplyDeleteAha! "And maybe I had miles to drive,
And promises to keep" is totally 'Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening', right? The "handled me like meat" line reminds me of the 'Cuerpo de la Mujer' poem Mr. Bruno read to us in class.
Hahahaha. That's awesome. Good catch, Portia. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is going down as one of my favorite poems.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if anyone cares, there is a Leonard Cohen song in Watchmen. It's during the sex scene, which I though was hilarious because he's singing "Hallelujah" in the background.
ReplyDeleteGreg, awesome example man! I was like scanning the thing keeping my eye out for the Frost reference and the "And promises to keep" line just jumped out at me, as Portia already mentioned is the reference. It's pretty cool how he took the Frost line and modernized it a bit with saying he had miles to drive.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I still have not grasped the whole interpreting poetry thing I guess because this poem confused me. I had to read it over, then didn't want to read it a third time because I thought it may confuse me more.
ReplyDeleteHowever, this poem seemed unique to me (although poetry is unique), I really liked the style, I'm not sure what made it different, but I really liked it.
I kind of got chills from this poem. I'm not sure if I grasped the whole concept of the poem, but I have to admit I found it really fascinating. I was captivated by the poem's progression. I'm going to look him up and check out more of his lyrics. Very cool, Greg.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very cool poem. I remain incompetent at interpreting poetry but the parts that i could understand are very insightful. The progression and rhythm are both really great and the overall style really pulls the reader in.
ReplyDeleteI love everyone's references, especially the one of Watchmen, that's hilarious. I'm sorry to say the motif that just jumped at me was sex... maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I interpreted. Maybe it's about passion in its many forms. I'm not too sure, but it was nice to read.
ReplyDeleteyeah...I'll be honest. I was lost throughout that whole poem, even after reading it three times.
ReplyDeleteSomeone will have to clarify for me in class, please
I like this poem. It does have a cool rhyme scheme. I was lost the first time i read it, but i read it over i understood a lot more about it and the references.
ReplyDeleteSee Bruno! Songs are Great poems...Greg great song/poem.
ReplyDelete